Thimphu is the quaint capital of Bhutan. It is the mix of cultural day life and modern nightlife. It replaced Punakha as the administrative capital in the year 1961 and has been going through extensive modernization ever since. This is the place where the royal family of Bhutan resides. The city is beautifully dotted with vintage monasteries, oriental architectural buildings and lined streets that merge together in the clock tower avenue where cultural programs are held. This capital city draws the attention of the visitors as it is the venue for clubs, bars and shopping centers which are popping up here and are not that common in other parts of the country. Breathtaking views of mountains, serene monasteries and a unique blend of modern lifestyle and cultural heritage make Thimphu a must visit destination in Bhutan.
By air: The best way to reach Thimphu is by taking a flight from the nearest Bagdogra Airport to Paro International Airport. At the airport, you will get several hired taxies to reach Thimphu and it will take 1hr to reach.
By rail: The nearest railway station is New Jalpaiguri Railway Station and from there, you can hire a taxi or a cab to reach Thimphu.
By road: You can visit the capital Thimphu by traveling through numerous state buses which travel from the border of Phuentsholing.
After reaching Thimphu, you can opt for car rental to tour throughout the capital city of Thimphu at a cheaper rate by booking one of the best travel agencies in Siliguri. If you want to travel solo or in a group with friends/family in Bhutan, make AV Tours your first choice. We provide one of the best car rental services in Thimphu. AV Tours car rental in Thimphu is chauffeured by experienced local drivers who are well-versed with the routes of Thimphu over years of service.
Through our car rental services, you can explore the nearby tourist destinations in Thimphu, which are mentioned below-
1. National Memorial Chorten – This stupa was erected in memory of the third King of Bhutan, Jigme Dorji Wangchuck. Built in 1974, it is one of the primary locations for the locals to offer their everyday prayers.
2. The Weekend Market – The Weekend Market in Thimphu is the cleanest Asian market set-up where fresh and dried edibles, all of the exotic kind are put to sale by the locals. Watch out for high-quality authentic handicrafts and apparel.
3. Zorig Chusum School of Traditional Arts – A workshop and art school where you can see the children hone their craft skills live. They learn and exhibit skills like painting, bamboo & wood carving, sculpting & casting, gold & silver work, embroidery & weaving, paperwork and much more.
4. The National Folk Heritage Museum – Access a glimpse of an unadulterated rural life of Bhutan that remains free from the clutches of modernity. Come here for live exhibitions and programs highlighting the culture of Bhutan from morning to noon.
5. Zangthoperi Lhakhang – This temple was erected in the site of a former battlefield to purify the location of all the negative energies. It is decorated with beautiful murals that are hand-painted to perfection & offers a languid peace to the tormented soul upon visits.
If you also want to explore Bhutan and its sightseeing places such as Paro, Punakha, Gangtey etc, we can also bring the best car rental services in Bhutan for creating unforgettable experiences. AV Tours organizes your trip in a much customized fashioned at a pocket-friendly rate.