Blessed with the enchanting spirituality, architectural heritages, pristine locals , sheer rocky mountains and lush green hills and valleys. Bhutan or The land of thunder dragons is the travel destination for everyone who wishes to surprise themselves. It is the country with abounding holy monasteries ,serene rivers ,pleasant people ,rich traditions and vibrant cultures. Being the place that referred as the land of happiness the country credits its culture to a whole different level, people of Bhutan embrace their culture like no other nation of the world. It is the home for a unique and fascinating culture, its people and the government’s determination to preserve the harmony of the land and to promote its culture
values are unmatched. The idealistic offering of the nation fascinates every person that come across it.
People see Bhutan as the answer to their peace and harmony , a adventurous ride through the mountains and valleys but along with that Bhutan is one of the few countries who embrace their culture with their ancestral traditions and aspects with modernity.Culture is a massive entity for Bhutanese people as they enclasp with unity peace and harmony and with the strong faith of Buddhist values and teachings of the lord Buddha.For Bhutanese people culture is a source of their pride and an extension of their noble values. Because of their self sufficient lifestyle and Buddhist teachings of contentment, shower travelers with their warm hospitality and exibit a serene and peaceful demeanour which leaves a deep imprint in the minds of tourists. Filled with traditional monasteries ,colorful
flags, the Dzong is present in every district and is the reflective of the rich cultural heritage of Lord Buddha.
To talk about Bhutanese culture we need a diverse look on the tradition and cultures and the locals embracing it.
- Festivals of Bhutan (Wash Your Sins)
Adding charm to the rich and mesmerizing cultures of Bhutan are its festivals. Festivals in Bhutan are magical events that are visually striking and vibrant celebrated with great enthusiasm. These are great events celebrated with the entire communities that come together to witness religious performance, receive blessing and to socialize.A cultural extravaganza of costumed dance acts, beguiling fire performances, narrative
recited from the legends and persuasive mask give birth to vibrance and passion.
There are two types of festivals in Bhutan broadly distinct as spiritually marked festivals and theme-based festivals. Among the spiritually marked festivals some major events of the countries are Thimphu Festivals, Jambay Lhakhang Drup , Paro Festival, Talo Festival and Ura Yakchoe Festival. And among theme based festivals there is Black Necked Crane festivals, Dochula festivals, Rhododendron Festival or the Royal Highland Festivals.Tshechu or the Mask Dance Festival is the most important religious festival of Bhutan. It is held annually in various monasteries, dzongs of Bhutan to honor the Guru Rimpoche (Padmasambhava being his human form), the lotus born teacher, who brought tantric Buddhism to Bhutan in the 8th century, For local Tshechu is the time to socialize,
to entertain, to receive blessings and wash away their sins. For visitor it’s a lifetime opportunity to take in the unique, colorful exciting displays of Bhutanese culture.
Be it theme based or spiritual significant festivals, all festivals in Bhutan are marked by colorful dances and cultural extravagant treat along with the good display of spiritual richness and a great opportunity to immerse into the relaxed togetherness. Bhutan’s festivals are an incomparable experience and blessing.
- The Traditional Attire (Divinely aesthetic)
The Royal Kingdom of Bhutan is know for its vibrant culture and aesthetic traditions they embrace . Bhutanese people are a pride among
themselves for how they embrace it. One thing that makes this kingdom stand out from other nations is their dress code behavior. The ‘Gho’ and the ‘Kira’ are the national attire for men and women respectively and they display the unique and colorful character of the Dragon Kingdom. These attire were introduced in 17th century by the unifier of Bhutan as a nation state, ‘Ngawang Namgyal’ to display their unique identity. The Driglam Namzha is the official dress code behavior of Bhutan.
With the aim to integrate a sense of community dress codes of Bhutan continues to be applicable for Bhutanese people.
Here are other Dresses of Bhutanese Men and Women
- Architectural Heritages ( Preserved History)
- Another feature of this majestic kingdom is its unmatched architectural heritages . Cultural heritage preservation is one of the four pillars of Gross National Happiness, the guiding philosophy of Bhutan’s development. In regards of quality and creativity, Bhutanese architecture lacks doubt one of the finest expression of nation’s distinct character.This heritages leads Bhutan to the
- uniqueness of its culture. The kingdom potray major influence of Buddhism I its culture, lifestyle, art and its diverse history making it the heritage tourism destination of Asia. The country flaunts its picturesque towns and cities that are adorned with the Tibetan tradition of Buddhist architecture of which dzong and Chorten
- Are the finest example of the architectural heritages of Bhutan. It’s the marvelous architectural heritage of the country that feature its unique culture. This unity in construction and design is a wonder in itself and lends the already scenic landscapes a breathtaking picturesque splendor. The country also boasts upon 71% forest cover and being home to rare wildlife species. Bhutan is one of the exceptional countries in the world that has well preserved its age-old culture and vibrant traditions in perfect harmony with the process of modernization. Each of this marvelous heritages was created and developed to balance with environment and meet certain specific function and a number of them hold true master pieces.
- Artifacts and Crafts (Crafted passionately for you)
- The majestic kingdom is filled with its vibrant culture , rich traditions ,natural beauty ,marvelous heritages and so much more. The mesmerizing landscape of Bhutan is outstandingly represented by its arts and crafts .Along with the pristine features the country also is known for producing best traditional arts and crafts . These people are skilled in a vast aspects ranging from weaving textiles to making aesthetic ornaments. The crafts share a heritages was created and developed to balance with environment and meet certain specific function and a number of them hold true master pieces.
- Artifacts and Crafts (Crafted passionately for you)
- The majestic kingdom is filled with its vibrant culture , rich traditions ,natural beauty ,marvelous heritages and so much more. The mesmerizing landscape of Bhutan is outstandingly represented by its arts and crafts .Along with the pristine features the country also is known for producing best traditional arts and crafts . These people are skilled in a vast aspects ranging from weaving textiles to making aesthetic ornaments. The crafts share a deep connection with its Buddhist influence and
- carrying strong spirituality. These arts are inspired through the country natural beauty and vibrant ancestral culture. The locals are experts in weaving art which is known as Thang Zo. The people from Trongsa Districts such as the Nabji and Korphu people best known for textile woven out of nettle fibres.
- There are thirteen types of different elements arts and crafts, which Bhutan is practicing considering that the ancient age. They completely termed as Zorig Chusum.The 13 arts and crafts of Bhutan that can be embrace while your tour are
- Shingzo (Carpentry)
- Dozo (Masonry)
- Parzo (Carving)
- Lhazo (Painting)
- Jinzo (Sculpting)
- Lugzo (Bronze-casting)
- Garzo (Black Smithing)
- Troeko (Ornament Making)
- Tsharzo (Cane and Bamboo Making)
- Thangzo (Weaving)
- Tshemzo( Tailoring,embroidery and Applique)
- Shagzo (Wood Turning)
- Deh-Sho (Paper Making)
- These 13 different artifacts were categorized in the 17th century during the reign of the fourth desi, Tenzin Rabgye.
- Although the crafts have evolved over the ages, the ethos remains.For Bhutanese people each piece of art they create represents a connection to the spiritual, a milestone en route to enlightment. For the people of Bhutan their culture is their pride implementing with the extraordinary noble values. Bhutanese carry their culture with immense respect and put up a strong emphasis on its preservations. Its is a fascinating culture to embrace for tourist visiting from around the globe. From the mystical heritages to the vibrant colorful festivals Bhutan is exceptionally a paradise on earth . Book our tour packages from AV tours and Travels to explore the unique culture of the Buddhist heritage and take a new step to finding peace and harmony over the simplest of things